Translate

Friday, November 8, 2013

Amongst Friends

Two weeks ago Kelly Barr invited another friend, Lynette Groves and myself over to her home for supper and to maybe play a game afterwards or to just talk.  When 3 women get together, watch out!  It spells nothing but trouble! :)  Somehow we got to talking about how we are getting so forgetful, at our young ages I might add!  I was relieved to know I wasn't the only one saying one thing, but meaning to say something else.  For example, when  trying to do something really fast like trying to break up a "fight" between our dog and our son, I'll  mistakenly call our dog named Dusty, Michael!  I was relieved to know that I'm not the only one who can't think of the word I'm trying to say when giving directions to my son ect...    Being amongst friends in the same boat gave me a sense of belonging.  I could let down my guard and just be myself!  Both of these women are great at putting a person at ease. That night we laughed so hard that I know it was good medicine for the soul!!  Thank you Lynette and Kelly for the laughter that made me feel like I was a teenager again!

Since forgetfulness seems to be plaguing me these days, more than I care to admit it has me to thinking.  I know, " Don't think too much!".  In the Bible God warns us not to forget the things He commanded.   Dueteronomy 4:9 says "But watch out!  Be careful never to forget what you yourself have seen.  Do not let these memories escape from your mind as long as you live!  And be sure to pass them on to your children and grandchildren."

God also does not want us to forget the great things He has done.  When Joshua was a new leader over the Israelites God commanded him to have the whole nation of Israel to cross through the Jordan river on dry land. The number of men alone was at 601,730 that's not even figuring women and children! (Numbers 26:51)  God's hand held back the waters and the Bible describes them as standing up in a heap (Joshua 3:13)

After the Israelites were so miraculously taken care of by God, God told Joshua to have 12 representatives to each get a stone and make a monument. This monument was to be a reminder of what God had done on that day.  God said, "In the future, when your children ask you, 'What do these stones mean?' tell them that the flow of the Jordan was cut off before the ark of the covenant of the LORD.  When it crossed the Jordan, the waters of the Jordan were cut off... ." (Joshua 4:6-7)

In light of that, I recall a time in Buffalo, NY.  It was about this time of year Nov./Dec. and we were making initial stages to move to Ohio.  Steve was working late and so it was just Michael and I at home that evening.  Feeling compelled (I believe God prompted me) we knelt down and prayed for Michael to be able to make new friends and specifically to find a friend who has Alopecia.

Those of you who do not know, Michael has an autoimmune  condition known as Alopecia that makes him allergic to his own hair.  It is rare but happens to men, women and children of all ages.  For some people it is temporary, others it is life long.  However it is NOT life threatening and at this point there is no cure although it is being researched.  For more details you can access the official web site: www.naaf.org

We moved to Ohio in April of 2008~ yet another thing to remember God helping us to sell our house in the coldest part of winter in Buffalo, NY! We had lived here maybe a month and were shopping at  Berean our local Christian Bookstore at t.he time.  Cindy Molnar an employee who works there seeing Michael with no hair approached us.  She asked about his condition and I was quick to reassure her he is not on chemo or fighting cancer.  I started to explain about Alopecia to which she mentioned that she runs a support group for people with Alopecia and wanted to know would we like to join the group?

Well fast forward to Saturday, November 2,2013 and our family finds ourselves with 4 other families meeting together just to hang out and compare what's going on  in our lives.  There were 4 children who have Alopecia and 2 of their siblings who do not have it.  They were all playing together having a great time.  While we parents took time to share things that've happened and plan our next get together!

It's just so amazing that these kids were brought together and have that sense of belonging that you can only have with people who've experienced the same things you've gone through! Others can sympathize ect.  but till you've walked a mile in another person's shoes, it's just not the same.  But the greatest part is that God did not just answer that prayer with one friend!  God brought 4 friends and their siblings + another boy that Michael went to school with had Alopecia temporarily.and we were able to reach out to him.

Simply and Honestly I just want to take time to remember the things God has done.  I was able to share this story at our last meeting and really wanted to put this here in print.  To give God the credit and to remember the great things He's done in our lives!

Wishing I had taken pictures at our last meeting to share here with permission of course!  Maybe next time! :)
Michael at 12 months 













Michael at 3 yrs. Hair patchy had lost all
and returned temporarily.
Michael at 4 yrs. At this point he permanently lost his hair.

1 comment:

  1. I confess I miss those BIG beautiful eyelashes he had! But I sure am thankful for his healthy body. My heart goes out to those fighting cancer.

    ReplyDelete